Thread: Dynamic DJ Entertainment

Elite Member - Platinum

Default Dynamic DJ Entertainment

A month or two ago some one messaged me about my photography, he had a few questions on how I get stuff to look the way it was. I noticed he was part of a DJ group that plays at local partys so I asked if they needed any photos to help promote their group. They were all down and really liked the final resoult. This was one of the first times I have worked with a smoke machine, and it was actually theirs not mine haha So I didnt have much time to figure out how to use it. I ended up smoking up way to much of the garage which messed with the contrast a little. Fog/smoke machines give an interesting effect and I think it would be cool to use one out side of the studio. Let me know what you guys think.

They had a cool little light machine and wanted to shot it off so I figured dragging the shutter would be a good way of bringing out the beams. Then I had some one hold a SB-600 to light up the subject a little.

Yo, Corey! Wow where the heck is everybody?

Aren't smoke machines the best? I love shot 3...that's a perfect example of why you should always have a fogger handy.

Shots 1 and 2 are very nice, but certainly not your most interesting work. I think I'm so used to seeing your composite work now, that three guys standing on black just doesn't do it for me anymore LOL.

My one note about Shot #2 (3 heads) is that the heads are in a position where they overlap unrealistically...so for some reason the shot hurts my brain. Does that make sense? In other words, maybe you can adjust the scale so they at least look "stacked" (behind each other) as opposed to on the same plane.

Good experimentation. Fun to see.
    -Nick

Owner, CEO
    SlickforceStudio - You. Perfected.™
    www.slickforce.com
    www.nicksaglimbeni.com

Elite Member - Silver clintdavis's Avatar

Yay the weekend is here! I have time to post on slickforce!
    I saw these before and thought they were very nice, just didn't have time to put in a reply.

The first one is one of teh best i've seen from you. Love the smoke and mood. A couple of things that stand out to me however. I only see rim lighting on the very right guy. Just looks slightly odd. I'm not sure if it's my monitor, but whatever they're sitting on is very very faint. It almost looks like they're sitting on darkness. Also try brightening up their kicks. The image loses so much interest from their knees down. Is the middle guy's foot cut off? or is this a black border crop?

#2 is pretty pimp, great group shot. It looks like the middle guy's shirt is abrubtly cut off. Bring it back or clone it so it looks like a real shirt. Also try dodging/brightening just their eyes. Make that one of the whitest parts of the image. Could be a very strong image.

#3 is crazy, but it's lacking power in my opinion. I think if you screwed around with it a little more something would come to mind. I think combining 2 and 3 would of been very cool

Overall try to match the colors/skin tones for each image. I'd like to see some more color in #2, to match #1.

Do I need to add my disclaimer again? That you're a wizard for your age (hell for most under 30 too), and I'm only responding bc I love ya man!
    Mastering Compositing DVD author
    http://clintdavis.net
    http://clintdavis.net/blog

Elite Member - Platinum

That feed back really means a lot! Thinking back on it, I probably could of shot the second shot with out composting. I'll try to change the scaling a round a little Nick, you made a good point about that being way off haha Clint, the kids shoe got cut off becuase I'm using some black muslim background, I will always buy paper in the future but I bought it a while ago. It never looks clean and is always getting wrinkled lol So I guess a part of it was getting in the way of his shoe. I think I could of used a grided strip box to add a little fill to the lower half of the image, like you said its pretty dark. Theres only so much brightening up you can do in photoshop before it starts looking bad haha

Thanks again guys, Hope you've been doing good. I know both of you are super busy!

Ha I was laughing at all the concern with a half-inch of shoe sole missing at the bottom of the shot when all I could think of is these guys look so boring! I'm kidding but for real though, they could use a more dynamic approach like you did in the 3rd shot. Their clothing color is like Cleveland in the winter- not exciting. Maybe you could jazz it up a little with some creative lighting and attitude. Yea Nick said it about the second shot, I can even see where you cropped the middle guy- photoshopdisasters.com materiel right there. The 3rd is really cool and I'm going to run out and buy a fog machine right now!!!
    You are the author of your own life story.

Main Site: MTM Studios.com

Blog: MTMStudios.com/blog/