Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick needs your input for PhotoKamp!

Question Nick needs your input for PhotoKamp!

Hey true believers,

So most of you know that, because of the success of ModelKamp, PhotoKamp will be launching later this, in an effort to finally teach both working and aspiring photographers exactly what they need to know to take their careers to the next level. But I need your help.

Please tell me what exactly you would like to learn at a workshop?
    What questions do you feel that no one else ever answers for you?
    What would make this workshop AMAZING?
    How many days is ideal for you (and are you traveling)?
    What would you NOT like to learn (a waste of your time)?
    What cost would you say is fair for what you're expecting to learn?

THANK YOU in advance, all of your feedback is GREATLY appreciated!
    -Nick

Owner, CEO
    SlickforceStudio - You. Perfected.™
    www.slickforce.com
    www.nicksaglimbeni.com

I'll jump in with a request for some time allocated for education on the business end of commercial photography/design. Seems like there's a bazillion websites with tutorials on everything to do with how to make images, but everyone's pretty tight-lipped when it comes to how to get your work in the game. Since there's so many aspects to this that there wouldn't be enough time to cover it all, I generally think that a discussion on:
    1: Standard industry/commercial rates- I don't even know what to quote when a jewelry company calls me and asks what my rate for a full-page product shot would cost them (I can estimate my photographer's fee but I'm clueless when it comes to usage terms/ fees).

2. What are some ballpark figures for various rates for things like retouching, file management/storage/archiving, graphic design (full blown digital art or just adding some text?), location scouting fees, model casting fees, etc. etc. I don't know where to begin with how to charge a client. By the hour, by the task, or just one lump sum?

There's much more but that's a good start!
    You are the author of your own life story.

Main Site: MTM Studios.com

Blog: MTMStudios.com/blog/

I answered on another post but since I can't moderate the post over to this thread, I'll hit these questions directly.

Please tell me what exactly you would like to learn at a workshop?
    Location lighting would be nice. How to best use strobes, diffusing sunlight, reflectors etc for magazine-quality lighting when on location where lighting can be tricky. Second, the stuff I mentioned on the other thread about business pricing and standard practices.

What questions do you feel that no one else ever answers for you?
    We can all generally set our prices for private client photo shoots (girls wanting photography), but what do you do when a company calls you up and wants you to shoot an ad for them and you don't even know what pricing language to speak to them in?

What would make this workshop AMAZING?
    If we get to do a location shoot that is as close to the "real thing" as possible. Bring in a model (it can even be a TFP girl or guy who isn't quite professional and needs direction), let us students help with the lighting setup and general base camp, teach us camera setup, computer connection setup, capture software, everything from lighting to posing to direction and all the technical gear stuff too. Oh, and provide lunch (Subway or something). Then we go back to the classroom and have you teach us editing/retouching from 'capture' to 'cover'- even what output standards to send the final image off to the ad agency or publisher (if there are standards such as CMYK, resolution, whatever). Then we talk about how to charge for such a job, what to pay a crew, how to itemize and submit bids for jobs that require more than just the photographer, you know, maybe over some beers.

How many days is ideal for you (and are you traveling)?
    2 days should be enough at 8 hours each day give or take. Day 1 could be meeting, heading out to the location, doing the shoot ( maybe each student gets 50 frames with the model or we just watch you shoot) getting back and starting the retouching. Day 2 could be finishing retouching and then a discussion on the business side. Yes I would be flying in most likely.

What would you NOT like to learn (a waste of your time)?
    Things that are too 'beginner Photoshop' or too much time spent on beginner stuff. I think most of the applicants and members of this forum have shown that they know how to use a camera. The work on here is quite good already, so we need to learn more about how to get to that next level so we can return home and provide our clients with an even better service. All the forums and websites out there are already saturating the "How to learn photoshop and how to buy a camera" stuff, there's a gap between beginner education and professional use of the tools. So I would come not to learn what the clone tool does, but rather how the retouchers for Vogue use it.

What cost would you say is fair for what you're expecting to learn?
    Hmm tough one. Considering economy, travel and stay expenses it would have to be based on the number of confirmed attendees. No too many, maybe limited to 20 or so? For that number of students maybe $250-$500 for both days per student. If there are more students then the price would be lower due to lack of personal attention for each student. If we could observe a location shoot and do all the above mentioned on question #3 I think $500 is reasonable. If it's just a day in the studio then yea couple o' hundred. It's just us po' folk coming in to learn and money's tight!

Hope this helps!
    You are the author of your own life story.

Main Site: MTM Studios.com

Blog: MTMStudios.com/blog/

Thanks for your input, Matt (and I moved your other post over here too). That helps a lot.

KEEP IT COMIN', GUYS!
    -Nick

Owner, CEO
    www.slickforce.com
    www.nicksaglimbeni.com

Talking workshop advice

i have trouble directing models, i just can't communicate what i visualize. looking at other amateur photography online i notice alot of people have the same issues. it is hard for amateurs to bridge the gap between direction & technique, it always seems to be one or the other.

that said, i live in texas and could never make it to LA, so you better document the workshops and sell dvd's!

Hey JPod,

Texas isn't THAT far! (But I appreciate that feedback and will strongly consider a DVD version in the future.) Thanks for your input!
    -Nick

Owner, CEO
    www.slickforce.com
    www.nicksaglimbeni.com

Lighting, lighting, lighting. Since it's one of, if not THE most, important aspect of a photo, learning new ways to modify lights, proper ratios, etc would be great to learn. Also, an overview of a commercial shoot, from acceptance to delivery of images.

What would make the workshop amazing would be working with a proven model during the shooting process. I would prefer to be able to focus on the technical aspects of the process, with the model there to make my life easier.

I think that two days would be sufficient. That would give enough time for intruction/discussion, as well as ample time to shoot.

I would prefer not to discuss any basic information, and would prefer to get in-depth. I think anyone trying to take their career to the next level should already know how to operate their camera, and the difference between a strobe and hot lights.

Pricewise, i think $500 would be a good amount. Maybe an additional amount if we want a DVD of our session. I think it very important that attendees have something to take home with them to review.

Thanks Nick. I think this is an awesome idea and look forward to the chance to attend a session in the future.

Maurice

Elite Member - Platinum

I'm new here but this would be great! It would be cool to be out on location like others have said, also learning how you come up with ideas/locations for shoots. I saw some of the work on your site and noticed you have a lot of awesome color combinations, so maybe how you plan out the shot before hand would be good to go over. Also how to interact with higher end models to make a location work for the shot would be great. Also some really high end retouching tips, the beginner stuff wouldn't be worth while to learn from a pro like you. Maybe a little bit about the commercial process too, from the first email/phone call to the paycheck and what to do and not to do a long the way. This would be great and am looking forward to hearing more about it!

I'm loving the input, guys. Keep throwin' whatever you got at me.
    -Nick

Owner, CEO
    www.slickforce.com
    www.nicksaglimbeni.com

Default I love it

Lets see,

-Shooting in Low-light situations.
    -Using various types of strobes to create stunning photo's
    -Shooting in natural light
    -Shooting on location
    -Shooting with basic equipment (2 strobes or less, reflectors,diffusers); stunning photo's

I feel like I stick out a lil with this suggestion, but I'd also like to learn a lil makeup/ skin technique. Maybe this is a good opportunity for your staff. But I see a lot of photographers that are able to do makeup and styling themselves and make it a one man show. Funny, I've run into a lot of male photographers that do this... I'm a chick and I depend on a makeup artist! All the time!

I generally agree with everyone about questions regarding pricing with bigger clients

What would make the workshop amazing is :
    -No notes- more doing
    -Take home diagrams on lighting setups, retouching secrets,etc
    -Lots of live shooting in various situations (models tfcd)
    -Smaller groups, more one on one
    - Weekend workshop
    -8 hour days
    -affordability

2-3 days would be ideal (Fri, Sat, Sun.)

I would not like to learn basic/beginner photography
    Like:
    Shutter speeds
    ISO settings
    F-Stops
    Exposure

Affordable prices for me is $300-600 dollars.

Hope I've helped. Can't wait until you're ready to go!